LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Firefighters spent the better part of their evening extinguishing about a dozen railroad ties Friday.
La Crosse and Onalaska Fire Departments responded to a fire nearly Highway County B, battling the blaze for more than five hours.
La Crosse firefighters say the ties were all soaked with the flammable material creosote, and there was no easy access for their trucks – equipment couldn't get closer than 600 feet. News 8 viewer Josh Narvestad sent us video of the fire.
The investigation into the cause of the fire is still ongoing and has been taken over by Canadian Pacific Rail Police, who have jurisdiction – but firefighters say they found a backpack with a flare in it next to the scene of the fire.
- Dayton plots big budget with public health insurance option
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Walker to deliver budget address on Feb. 8
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- End of TPP leaves farmers and business leaders concerned
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Education tax credit causes stir at Minnesota Legislature
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked