LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Firefighters spent the better part of their evening extinguishing about a dozen railroad ties Friday.
La Crosse and Onalaska Fire Departments responded to a fire nearly Highway County B, battling the blaze for more than five hours.
La Crosse firefighters say the ties were all soaked with the flammable material creosote, and there was no easy access for their trucks – equipment couldn't get closer than 600 feet. News 8 viewer Josh Narvestad sent us video of the fire.
The investigation into the cause of the fire is still ongoing and has been taken over by Canadian Pacific Rail Police, who have jurisdiction – but firefighters say they found a backpack with a flare in it next to the scene of the fire.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline