DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - An inmate who was convicted of attempted murder has been listed as escaped from a state work release center in Des Moines.
A news release from the Iowa Corrections Department says 33-year-old Corey Dewitt was listed because of an unexcused absence from the Fort Des Moines facility on Tuesday. Dewitt was transferred to the center on Nov. 6.
The department says that in June 1997, Dewitt was sentenced to 40 years in prison. He was convicted in Polk County of attempted murder, terrorism and going armed with intent.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks