EVANSDALE, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say hunters have found bodies believed to be two young Iowa cousins who disappeared while riding their bikes in July.
Black Hawk County sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben said during a news conference that the bodies were found Wednesday afternoon, though he wouldn't say where.
Abben says both are being sent to the state medical examiner's office to verify they are the bodies of 11-year-old Lyric Cook and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins.
The two girls vanished July 13 near Meyers Lake in Evansdale, about 110 miles northeast of Des Moines. Their bikes were found near the lake.
Abben appeared to be fighting back tears as he said, "the outcome was not the one we wanted."
Abben says the area where the bodies were found is still being processed.
- The Latest: Teens in Wisconsin plane crash identified
- The Latest: Teen plane crash survivor in serious condition
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Fiserv CEO top paid executive in Wisconsin
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Top paid CEO in Minnesota is in health care industry
- Trump schedules Iowa visit _ his first as president
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- One week after storms, cleanup continues