EVANSDALE, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say hunters have found bodies believed to be two young Iowa cousins who disappeared while riding their bikes in July.
Black Hawk County sheriff's Capt. Rick Abben said during a news conference that the bodies were found Wednesday afternoon, though he wouldn't say where.
Abben says both are being sent to the state medical examiner's office to verify they are the bodies of 11-year-old Lyric Cook and 9-year-old Elizabeth Collins.
The two girls vanished July 13 near Meyers Lake in Evansdale, about 110 miles northeast of Des Moines. Their bikes were found near the lake.
Abben appeared to be fighting back tears as he said, "the outcome was not the one we wanted."
Abben says the area where the bodies were found is still being processed.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says