BURNETT, Wis. (AP) - A hunter who became stranded on an island in the Horicon Marsh has been found safe.
The Dodge County Sheriff's Department says Donald Schlegel, 75, was hunting alone on islands in the marsh in the town of Burnett when he was unable to locate his boat. Deputies say the Horicon man had no way of calling for help and no survival equipment, except for a small flashlight.
When Schlegel failed to return home, his family found his empty truck at a boat landing and called authorities.
In steady rain and falling temperatures, deputies spotted the dim light of Schlegel's flashlight about 8 p.m. Schlegel wasn't hurt.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands