BURNETT, Wis. (AP) - A hunter who became stranded on an island in the Horicon Marsh has been found safe.
The Dodge County Sheriff's Department says Donald Schlegel, 75, was hunting alone on islands in the marsh in the town of Burnett when he was unable to locate his boat. Deputies say the Horicon man had no way of calling for help and no survival equipment, except for a small flashlight.
When Schlegel failed to return home, his family found his empty truck at a boat landing and called authorities.
In steady rain and falling temperatures, deputies spotted the dim light of Schlegel's flashlight about 8 p.m. Schlegel wasn't hurt.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing