HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - The Dakota County sheriff's office is investigating after human remains were discovered near the Vermillion River in Hastings.
Chief Sheriff's Deputy Tim Leslie says a passerby found the remains along the banks of the river shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday. Clothing also was found nearby.
Leslie tells the Star Tribune the remains have "been there awhile." Authorities don't know if the remains are male or female.
The sheriff's office is working with the Hennepin County medical examiner's office to recover the remains and identify the person.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership