HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - The Dakota County sheriff's office is investigating after human remains were discovered near the Vermillion River in Hastings.
Chief Sheriff's Deputy Tim Leslie says a passerby found the remains along the banks of the river shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday. Clothing also was found nearby.
Leslie tells the Star Tribune the remains have "been there awhile." Authorities don't know if the remains are male or female.
The sheriff's office is working with the Hennepin County medical examiner's office to recover the remains and identify the person.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016