LEON, Wis. (WKBT) - One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion after responding to a house fire that closed Highway 27 in both directions at Jameson Road in Leon Friday afternoon.
Crews were called to the scene of a house fire on the corner of Highway 27 and Jameson Road at about 1:30 p.m.
Sparta Area Fire District Chief Mike Arnold told News 8 an electrical fridge and freezer were plugged into an extension cord in the garage, which sparked the house fire. It took 21 firefighters about 45 minutes to get the fire under control.
Chief Arnold said the homeowner is okay and the homeowner's son is a firefighter with the department. The garage is gone and the house is "extensively damaged."
Toad visibility was down to 7 feet because of smoke from the fire, so both lanes of Highway 27 were closed at Jameson Road. Northbound Highway 27 was re-opened at about 2:30 p.m. The southbound lane re-opened at about 5 p.m.
Chief Arnold said this is the eighth fire the Sparta Area Fire District has been a part of this week. They also battled the fire on Wednesday night near Sommers Road, betweek Highway 162 and County Rd. A, in northern La Crosse County near the Four Corners area.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners