ELKHORN, Wis. (AP) - Walworth County sheriff's officials say an inmate under guard at an Elkhorn hospital was fatally shot by a deputy during an escape attempt.
Authorities say Alfredo Villarreal, 18, of Janesville, was undergoing tests for an unidentified medical issue when he attacked the deputy Monday about 7 p.m.
Sheriff's officials say Villarreal punched and kicked the deputy in the face multiple times. The deputy used a stun gun on the inmate which failed to stop him.
The sheriff's department says Villarreal then tried breaking a window in his room with a chair. And when that didn't work, he tried to hit the deputy over the head with the chair. The deputy then shot and killed Villarreal who died at the scene.
The Walworth County Sheriff's Department has turned the investigation over to Waukesha County.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Bushes' spokesman: George H.W., Barbara 'both on the upswing'
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice