ELKHORN, Wis. (AP) - Walworth County sheriff's officials say an inmate under guard at an Elkhorn hospital was fatally shot by a deputy during an escape attempt.
Authorities say Alfredo Villarreal, 18, of Janesville, was undergoing tests for an unidentified medical issue when he attacked the deputy Monday about 7 p.m.
Sheriff's officials say Villarreal punched and kicked the deputy in the face multiple times. The deputy used a stun gun on the inmate which failed to stop him.
The sheriff's department says Villarreal then tried breaking a window in his room with a chair. And when that didn't work, he tried to hit the deputy over the head with the chair. The deputy then shot and killed Villarreal who died at the scene.
The Walworth County Sheriff's Department has turned the investigation over to Waukesha County.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns