LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Hundreds of veterans started their Veterans Day with a good meal and a big 'thanks' from several organizations.
Freedom Honor Flight and UW-La Crosse athletics hosted a breakfast Friday morning for veterans at UW-L's Mitchell Hall.
A ceremony to honor veterans was also held before the breakfast outside of Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex.
"We wanted to salute those who have served without asking the veterans to have to do any work to put on the event," says Bill Hoel, president of Freedom Honor Flight.4730240
About 400 veterans were served breakfast by ROTC members and athletes from UW-L.
Chartwells Catering donated a portion of the cost of the breakfast, and Coulee Bank, State Bank Financial, Merchants Bank and M&I all contributed to the breakfast.
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- Cool, wet conditions put damper on Minnesota spring planting
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Teacher pleads not guilty to failure to report sex abuse
- Authorities ID man whose body was found in Des Moines River
- Minnesota man accused of trying to kidnap woman
- Local students compete in dairy cook off