LA CROSSE, Wis. -- Hundreds of veterans started their Veterans Day with a good meal and a big 'thanks' from several organizations.
Freedom Honor Flight and UW-La Crosse athletics hosted a breakfast Friday morning for veterans at UW-L's Mitchell Hall.
A ceremony to honor veterans was also held before the breakfast outside of Veterans Memorial Field Sports Complex.
"We wanted to salute those who have served without asking the veterans to have to do any work to put on the event," says Bill Hoel, president of Freedom Honor Flight.4730240
About 400 veterans were served breakfast by ROTC members and athletes from UW-L.
Chartwells Catering donated a portion of the cost of the breakfast, and Coulee Bank, State Bank Financial, Merchants Bank and M&I all contributed to the breakfast.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016