LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Keeping warm this winter will be a little easier for La Crosse's homeless population thanks to a high school senior.
West Salem High School senior McKenzie Fitzpatrick will provide some of La Crosse's homeless with a care package this Thanksgiving. As part of a senior exit project, McKenzie is handing out 32 backpacks and 100 smaller care packages.
Each backpack has shoes and clothing items, and the packages contain hygiene items, hand warmers and snacks.
"I also wanted to get it out during Thanksgiving and Christmas because giving is always really nice, and being able to help people other than yourself or your family and stuff like that, just being able to reach out, is important to me," said McKenzie.
Additional items like tarps, can openers and flash lights were handed out to those living in a homeless camp along La Crosse's Riverside Park.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter
- Iowa man found mentally fit to stand trial in double murder
- Iowa court offices to be closed Friday due to budget cuts
- "Share the Love" donation to Family & Children's Center
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers