LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Keeping warm this winter will be a little easier for La Crosse's homeless population thanks to a high school senior.
West Salem High School senior McKenzie Fitzpatrick will provide some of La Crosse's homeless with a care package this Thanksgiving. As part of a senior exit project, McKenzie is handing out 32 backpacks and 100 smaller care packages.
Each backpack has shoes and clothing items, and the packages contain hygiene items, hand warmers and snacks.
"I also wanted to get it out during Thanksgiving and Christmas because giving is always really nice, and being able to help people other than yourself or your family and stuff like that, just being able to reach out, is important to me," said McKenzie.
Additional items like tarps, can openers and flash lights were handed out to those living in a homeless camp along La Crosse's Riverside Park.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.