IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - University of Iowa police are investigating after finding a Herky statue vandalized Friday.
The Iowa City Press-Citizen reports that the "Reflections of U" Herky had its fiberglass legs shattered below the knees, leaving only steel rebar attaching the statue to its one-ton concrete base on the north end of the school's Pentacrest.
Herky, the hawk, is the mascot of the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Iowa City Area Crime Stoppers is offering up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest.
The Cedar Rapids artist who created the statue, Kim O'Meara, will determine whether it can be repaired.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- La Crosse Central holds 95th Memorial Day ceremony