MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is handing out free gun locks to give firearms owners an additional level of safety when storing their guns.
A gun lock is a cable-style device that helps prevent unauthorized access to a firearm. A cable lock requires that many types of firearms be unloaded before installation -- providing an extra level of safety.
The gun locks will be available Friday at the Sheriff's Office open house at its Enforcement Services Division in Brooklyn Park. The event features demonstrations from K9s, the Dive Team, Crime Lab and other divisions.
The locks will be available while supplies last. They are provided by Project ChildSafe.
Sheriff Rich Stanek says safe weapon storage is particularly important in households where children live or visit.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016