MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is handing out free gun locks to give firearms owners an additional level of safety when storing their guns.
A gun lock is a cable-style device that helps prevent unauthorized access to a firearm. A cable lock requires that many types of firearms be unloaded before installation -- providing an extra level of safety.
The gun locks will be available Friday at the Sheriff's Office open house at its Enforcement Services Division in Brooklyn Park. The event features demonstrations from K9s, the Dive Team, Crime Lab and other divisions.
The locks will be available while supplies last. They are provided by Project ChildSafe.
Sheriff Rich Stanek says safe weapon storage is particularly important in households where children live or visit.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game