LA CROSSE, Wis. - Mt. Calvary/Grace Lutheran School in La Crosse won the first Healthy Pantry Challenge by donating the most items based on school enrollment to area food pantries during the holiday season.
The Coulee Region Childhood Obesity Coalition, Rotary Lights and the Hunger Task Force sponsored the event.
In total, the six schools that participated in the challenge donated more than 4,650 items to the food pantry. Besides Mt. Calvary/Grace Lutheran School, the other schools that participated were St. Paul's Lutheran and Northern Hills Elementary schools in Onalaska and Evergreen, Sand Lake, and Viking elementary schools in Holmen.
Mt. Calvary/Grace Lutheran School will receive the traveling "Healthy to the Core" plaque, which they can display at their school for the rest of the year.
Healthy Pantry Challenge sponsors expect the event to continue next year.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather