LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - For the fifth year in a row, Gundersen Health System has received a Five-star rating in Bariatric Surgery and has also received the Healthgrades 2014 Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award.
Healthgrades analyze surgery outcome data from 19 states over a three year period and recognize hospitals that rank in the top ten percent of all hospitals.
"Since the development of our minimally invasive bariatric program in 2001, our multidisciplinary team has always strived for exemplary outcomes. The Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award is a reflection of that," Gundersen bariatric surgeon Shanu N. Kothari, MD, FACS, said in a statement.
According to Healthgrades, patients who received bariatric surgery from a Five-star rated hospital were 45.5 percent less likely to receive in-hospital complications than those who were treated at a Three-star and 70.2 percent less likely than those treated by a One-star.
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser