LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - For the fifth year in a row, Gundersen Health System has received a Five-star rating in Bariatric Surgery and has also received the Healthgrades 2014 Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award.
Healthgrades analyze surgery outcome data from 19 states over a three year period and recognize hospitals that rank in the top ten percent of all hospitals.
"Since the development of our minimally invasive bariatric program in 2001, our multidisciplinary team has always strived for exemplary outcomes. The Healthgrades Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award is a reflection of that," Gundersen bariatric surgeon Shanu N. Kothari, MD, FACS, said in a statement.
According to Healthgrades, patients who received bariatric surgery from a Five-star rated hospital were 45.5 percent less likely to receive in-hospital complications than those who were treated at a Three-star and 70.2 percent less likely than those treated by a One-star.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls