ASHLAND, Wis. (AP) - Two La Crosse men are dead after a plane crash in Ashland County.
Rick Renwick and his brother Bruce died Saturday when the plane Rick was flying crashed on Madeline Island.
Authorities say the single-engine plane had just aborted a landing and was turning to make a second approach when it went down. It crashed into some trees and burst into flames. Rick and Bruce were the only ones on board.
"A huge plume of black smoke went up and drifted off to the north and then we got off the ferry to where the shuttle was," said witness Martha Williams. "We heard someone come down from the hotel and say it was a plane crash."
Dr. Rick Renwick was an OB/GYN at Gundersen Health System in La Crosse. Bruce was from the Waunakee area.
Gundersen released the following statement from Mary Kuffel, MD, medical vice president and obstetrician/gynecologist:
"Our hearts are heavy today. Dr. Rick Renwick was a long-time physician in Obstetrics & Gynecology at Gundersen Health System, and loved by his patients and those who worked with him.20605802
Dr. Renwick was an outstanding physician with a passion for helping his patients. With a 21-year career at Gundersen, he delivered countless babies for parents in the community. More recently, Dr. Renwick dedicated his career to helping women with gynecological cancers.
Dr. Renwick was an exceptional physician, but even more important, he was a wonderful friend and family man. He will be deeply missed by all who knew him."
The FAA is investigating the crash and should have results next week.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building