MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and a number of organizations are set to celebrate Arbor Day by planning a tree on the state Capitol's lawn.
The DNR, the Wisconsin Nursery Association and the Wisconsin Arborist Association along with The Bruce Company, a Middleton landscaping company, will plan a swamp white oak on the southeast lawn over the noon hour Friday.
Smokey the Bear and students from Tiffany Creek Elementary School in Boyceville will kick off the event with cheers. Madison-based musician Ken Lonnquist will lead songs celebrating trees.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump