The Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge in Winona and La Crosse are closed due to the federal government shutdown.
Funding for the Refuge expired on October 1, 2013. Public access to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service properties is prohibited.
All public activities are cancelled, but fish and wildlife managers will continue "limited functions," such as those necessary to respond to emergencies, perform essential functions and to protect human life or personal property.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore