MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican state Sen. Terry Moulton has defeated Democrat Kristen Dexter in Tuesday's recall elections.
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Dexter was making a bid to rejoin the Legislature after losing her state Assembly seat in the 2010 elections. Moulton, from Chippewa Falls, was first elected to the Senate that same year.
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests