MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republican state Sen. Terry Moulton has defeated Democrat Kristen Dexter in Tuesday's recall elections.
Democrats angry with Republican Gov. Scott Walker's contentious plan that all but ended most public workers' union rights forced the governor, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, Fitzgerald and two other GOP senators into recalls. They also were trying to capture an open seat in Tuesday's elections.
Walker claimed the plan was needed to control the state budget, but many public workers opposed erosion of their bargaining rights.
Dexter was making a bid to rejoin the Legislature after losing her state Assembly seat in the 2010 elections. Moulton, from Chippewa Falls, was first elected to the Senate that same year.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery