MIDDLETON, Wis. - A Wisconsin chapter of a cancer-support group is removing a reference to Gilda Radner from its name, angering some fans of the former Saturday Night Live comedienne.
The Middleton chapter of Gilda's Club is changing its name to Cancer Support Community Southwest Wisconsin. Officials said one reason is because some people might not know who Radner was.
Radner died in 1989 of ovarian cancer.
Lannia Syren Stenz runs the Middleton chapter. She told the Wisconsin State Journal officials switched to a name that was more descriptive.
But Radner fans said a better solution is to educate people about who Radner was, not remove traces of her memory.
There are 56 chapters around the world. Twenty are known as Gilda's Club, three are Wellness Community and 23 are Cancer Support Community.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure