MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- State election officials have finalized the list of candidates who are challenging six Republican state senators in recall elections this summer.
The Government Accountability Board said yesterday it had received the necessary paperwork from 12 challengers. None of the nomination papers was challenged, so the GAB has now locked in the election dates.
All six races will start with a Democratic primary on July 12. According to the final paperwork, each primary will include one Democratic candidate and a "fake" Democrat, part of a Republican strategy that forces Democrats to spend more resources per race.
The primary winner will face the Republican incumbent in a general election Aug. 9.
Three Democratic state senators are also being targeted for recall. If there are primaries in those races they'd be on July 19, with the general election on Aug. 16.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death