MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- State election officials have finalized the list of candidates who are challenging six Republican state senators in recall elections this summer.
The Government Accountability Board said yesterday it had received the necessary paperwork from 12 challengers. None of the nomination papers was challenged, so the GAB has now locked in the election dates.
All six races will start with a Democratic primary on July 12. According to the final paperwork, each primary will include one Democratic candidate and a "fake" Democrat, part of a Republican strategy that forces Democrats to spend more resources per race.
The primary winner will face the Republican incumbent in a general election Aug. 9.
Three Democratic state senators are also being targeted for recall. If there are primaries in those races they'd be on July 19, with the general election on Aug. 16.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government