THORP, Wis. (AP) - A former track coach has pleaded no contest in Clark County to sexually assaulting a teenage member of his team.
Forty-four-year-old Scott Bergman reached a plea agreement with prosecutors and will avoid a jury trial. The former Thorp coach pleaded no contest to sexual assault of a student by school staff and bail jumping. Four other felony charges were dismissed, but will be read-in when Bergman is sentenced.
A criminal complaint says Thorp school officials contacted police after learning about a possible sexual relationship between Bergman and the 17-year-old girl last year.
WSAW-TV reports a search warrant of Bergman's phone turned up nude photos of the girl and intimate text messages. A sentencing hearing is set for Sept. 17.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners