SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials say the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras says he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates says Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates says Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune says Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns