SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) - Relatives say the victim of a house fire in Superior was a retired music teacher.
Jean Sweeney retired from teaching at Superior High School in the mid-1990s. Her cousin, Dennis Arras, says Sweeney was talented, loving and kind.
The fire at Sweeney's home was reported just after 11 a.m. Monday. Fire officials say the flames and heat stopped efforts to search the home.
Arras says he was contacted by many of Sweeney's former students when he posted her death on Facebook. Katie Bates says Sweeney was one of her favorite teachers in high school. Bates says Sweeney was able to share her appreciation of music with students at their level.
The Duluth News Tribune says Sweeney was the hand-bell choir director at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, where she was a member.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners