Fire reported at Winona recycling facility - Reports of an explosion sent Winona firefighters to a recycling facility Friday morning.
Crews were called to Matejka Recycling at 818 West 3rd Street in Winona at about 9 a.m.
The company compresses and recycles old cars. Winona Assistant Fire Chief Jason Theusch said they aren't sure what caused the fire, but one of the recycling workers said they smelled gasoline.
It took crews 1 1/2 hours to put out the fire spraying water from above. They contained the fire to a trailer. No injuries were reported.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Monroe Co. man avoids prison for shooting mother
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- Tomah VA, Fort McCoy team up for Memorial Day 5K
- Iowa man accused of stealing from ailing dad gets probation
- Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
- Parents of malnourished teen found dead plead not guilty
- The Latest: Teen plane crash survivor in serious condition