TOWN OF MANCHESTER, Wis. - A family's garage is destroyed by a fire Friday morning. It happened just after 11:00 a.m. at N9108 Dennis Rd. in the Township of Manchester in Jackson County.
When firefighters arrived on scene, the unattached garage was fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to a nearby home, although some of the home's siding did suffer heat damage.
The owners, Mark and Jennifer Hill, were home at the time and were alerted to the fire by a mail carrier.
The Black River Falls Fire Chief says the fire appears to have started in a burn barrel. The owner had put some paper into the barrel an hour or more earlier, but didn't light it. The fire chief believes smoldering ashes from a fire in the barrel earlier in the week ignited the paper. The wind then blew embers from the barrel into a carport area and started the structure on fire.
No one was injured in the fire. The total amount of damage is unknown, although the owners do have insurance.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse