LA GRANGE, WI (AP) - Authorities are investigating a fire that went to four alarms at a large southeastern Wisconsin egg farm.
The fire was reported at the S&R Egg Farm in La Grange in Walworth County around 7:45 p.m. Friday. According to the company's website, it's a third-generation, family-owned business founded in 1958. The company says it produces up to 2 million of Wisconsin's eggs and distributes them across the country.
WISN-TV reports an estimated 300,000 chickens were housed in the barn that burned. Firefighters say firewalls helped protect other buildings.
A damage estimate was not immediately available. Farm officials said they were preparing a statement Saturday.
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration