LA CROSSE, Wis. - It was an event to remind those with Type 1 diabetes that they're not alone.
The 'Living with Type 1--A Family Affair' lunch is all about giving families who have loved ones with the disease the opportunity to support each other.
The meal was held on Sunday on the UW-La Crosse campus and put on by JDRF, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
Families enjoyed a steak dinner and hear from medical professionals about the latest advancements in Type 1 research.
JDRF board member Brent Smith said it's an important way for people to connect with others who have truly walked in their shoes.19655394
"A lot of us feel, who have family members, that sometimes you're doing it alone but as you come together and see that other families have the same thing, you can share stories and say, 'Gee, I went through the same experience with my child, with my family member.' It's invaluable," said Smith.
9-year-old Hailey Biesanz and her family came to the lunch on Sunday.
Biesanz was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was just two and a half years old.
Her mom said while the lunch is encouraging for their entire family, it's especially important for Hailey to see there are other kids just like her.
"It's nice to hear that other people go through the same struggles, because I think sometimes she doesn't always see that. She does feel like she's by herself sometimes, so just to see there are other kids out there who go through the same thing, and she can relate to that," said Allisan Biesanz, Hailey's mom.
About 120 people attended the lunch.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies