LA CROSSE, Wis. - It's only mid-September, but now is the time to get some of those cold-weather preparations out of the way before the snow flies.
That includes getting your furnace checked and your chimney swept.
Not doing so can increase the risk of a fire or a problem with carbon monoxide in your home.
Waiting until cold weather hits to call in someone to check your furnace or chimney could also mean you might end up on a waiting list.16674738
"You get the first cold night. People start thinking about it, and it lingers on well until after the snow goes. Once the snow is happening it's much harder to do," says James Elliot, owner of Champion Chimney in La Crosse.
A more difficult job can also be more dangerous for someone sweeping a chimney. It could also cost homeowners more.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks