LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The YWCA of the Coulee Region is looking for submissions for its cork art competition that's part of the Taste of the Coulee Region.
La Crosse artist and sculptor Mike Martino stopped by News 8 at Noon to talk about the contest and working with cork.
Martino has worked with various mediums, like bronze, snow and sand, but never cork. He drew a picture first and he's creating a winemaker with grapes in one hand.
"It's pretty easy to work with," Martino said. "The material works well. You can cut it. You can sand it. You can drill it. It glues with a hot glue gun and a sharp knife cuts it very well and it's lightweight."
Martino's artwork will not be a part of the competition. It will be auctioned off at the June 5 Taste of the Coulee Region.
To enter the competition, create a design out of cork and then submit a photo of your design and sent it to email@example.com. The deadline for submitting a photo of your design is Monday, May 19. Winners of the competition will be announced at the event on June 5.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 21, 2017
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse