LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The YWCA of the Coulee Region is looking for submissions for its cork art competition that's part of the Taste of the Coulee Region.
La Crosse artist and sculptor Mike Martino stopped by News 8 at Noon to talk about the contest and working with cork.
Martino has worked with various mediums, like bronze, snow and sand, but never cork. He drew a picture first and he's creating a winemaker with grapes in one hand.
"It's pretty easy to work with," Martino said. "The material works well. You can cut it. You can sand it. You can drill it. It glues with a hot glue gun and a sharp knife cuts it very well and it's lightweight."
Martino's artwork will not be a part of the competition. It will be auctioned off at the June 5 Taste of the Coulee Region.
To enter the competition, create a design out of cork and then submit a photo of your design and sent it to email@example.com. The deadline for submitting a photo of your design is Monday, May 19. Winners of the competition will be announced at the event on June 5.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team