LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The YWCA of the Coulee Region is looking for submissions for its cork art competition that's part of the Taste of the Coulee Region.
La Crosse artist and sculptor Mike Martino stopped by News 8 at Noon to talk about the contest and working with cork.
Martino has worked with various mediums, like bronze, snow and sand, but never cork. He drew a picture first and he's creating a winemaker with grapes in one hand.
"It's pretty easy to work with," Martino said. "The material works well. You can cut it. You can sand it. You can drill it. It glues with a hot glue gun and a sharp knife cuts it very well and it's lightweight."
Martino's artwork will not be a part of the competition. It will be auctioned off at the June 5 Taste of the Coulee Region.
To enter the competition, create a design out of cork and then submit a photo of your design and sent it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submitting a photo of your design is Monday, May 19. Winners of the competition will be announced at the event on June 5.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest