WEST SALEM, WI - The West Salem Fire Department says an electrical issue caused a fire at a house on Mill Street Wednesday afternoon.
When crews arrived on scene at about 2:30 p.m., they found a small fire and the basement was filling up with smoke.
Firefighters say a cord shorted from a grinder plugged into receptacle from the ceiling. Crews removed the ceiling, checked the outlet and extinguished the fire rapidly.
Two people were home at the time of the fire. They were able to make it out okay.
Firefighters say there was minimal damage to the house, mainly smoke damage.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing