MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Former state Rep. Kristin Dexter has defeated fake Democrat James Engel in a state Senate recall primary.
Preliminary results from Tuesday's elections show Dexter, an Eau Claire Democrat, with 63 percent of the vote. Engel, of Fall Creek, had 37 percent.
Dexter advances to face Republican Sen. Terry Moulton of Chippewa Falls in a June 5 general recall election.
Dexter and two other Democrats want to oust Moulton and two other Republican senators as punishment for passing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's plan restricting public workers' union rights. Another Democrat was vying to face Republican Rep. Jerry Petrowski for an open Senate seat in that same election.
All four Democrats faced Republicans running as Democrats on Tuesday. The GOP recruited the fake candidates to ensure all the Democrats had primaries.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota