MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Former state Rep. Kristin Dexter has defeated fake Democrat James Engel in a state Senate recall primary.
Preliminary results from Tuesday's elections show Dexter, an Eau Claire Democrat, with 63 percent of the vote. Engel, of Fall Creek, had 37 percent.
Dexter advances to face Republican Sen. Terry Moulton of Chippewa Falls in a June 5 general recall election.
Dexter and two other Democrats want to oust Moulton and two other Republican senators as punishment for passing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's plan restricting public workers' union rights. Another Democrat was vying to face Republican Rep. Jerry Petrowski for an open Senate seat in that same election.
All four Democrats faced Republicans running as Democrats on Tuesday. The GOP recruited the fake candidates to ensure all the Democrats had primaries.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently