MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Former state Rep. Kristin Dexter has defeated fake Democrat James Engel in a state Senate recall primary.
Preliminary results from Tuesday's elections show Dexter, an Eau Claire Democrat, with 63 percent of the vote. Engel, of Fall Creek, had 37 percent.
Dexter advances to face Republican Sen. Terry Moulton of Chippewa Falls in a June 5 general recall election.
Dexter and two other Democrats want to oust Moulton and two other Republican senators as punishment for passing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's plan restricting public workers' union rights. Another Democrat was vying to face Republican Rep. Jerry Petrowski for an open Senate seat in that same election.
All four Democrats faced Republicans running as Democrats on Tuesday. The GOP recruited the fake candidates to ensure all the Democrats had primaries.
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls