EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - New figures show Eau Claire is second in the nation in the percentage of new construction, mining and logging jobs.
The Associated General Contractors of America compared last month to June of 2012. Only Pascagoula, Mississippi, was stronger with a 33 percent gain in construction jobs tied to busy shipyards.
The Eau Claire area had 4,200 jobs in the construction category in June, up 31 percent from a year earlier. Officials say more construction at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, manufacturing plant expansions, highway work and a new county jail were all factors in the employment surge.
Eau Claire Economic Development Corp. executive director Brian Doudna tells the Journal Sentinel a frac sand processing plant was also built in the last year.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks