DUBUQUE, Ia. (AP) - A Dubuque man has been charged with attempted murder, willful injury and a weapons count after police say he stabbed and shot his wife in December, then turned the gun on himself.
The Quad-City Times reports that 44-year-old Robert Michael McClain was arrested this week at his home after being discharged from the hospital. He's being held in a Dubuque County jail on $500,000 bond and could not be reached for comment.
Police say that on Dec. 21, deputies were called to a house south of Dubuque and found McClain's wife hiding in a closet. They say she had been stabbed and shot in the leg. She survived her wounds.
The deputies found McClain in an upstairs bedroom with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the face.
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- Baby peregrine falcons banded in downtown La Crosse
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Monroe Co. man avoids prison for shooting mother
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- News 8 Sports Round Up - May 25, 2017
- Program gives books to La Crosse students for summer reading
- Tomah VA, Fort McCoy team up for Memorial Day 5K
- Iowa man accused of stealing from ailing dad gets probation