LA CROSSE, Wis. - It was the last day for teams to practice on Friday before Saturday's Big Blue Dragon Boat Race at Riverfest.
The boats arrived in the afternoon.
At least 30 teams of 20 will race the boats up the Mississippi River, including 28 from the area.
The event, sponsored by Mayo Clinic Health System, is helping raise awareness for breast cancer research, but it about much more than that.20859164
"It is about supporting survivors and their loved ones, it is about celebrating life, it is about honoring those who have lost their life, and it really about coming together for a great cause for fun," says Lori Freit-Hammes, the event co-chair.
Time trials begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, and races go all day.
More details on the event can be found here.
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Man died after kayak capsized, Des Moines authorities say
- Man fatally shot in Waterloo, authorities say