LA CROSSE, Wis. - It was the last day for teams to practice on Friday before Saturday's Big Blue Dragon Boat Race at Riverfest.
The boats arrived in the afternoon.
At least 30 teams of 20 will race the boats up the Mississippi River, including 28 from the area.
The event, sponsored by Mayo Clinic Health System, is helping raise awareness for breast cancer research, but it about much more than that.20859164
"It is about supporting survivors and their loved ones, it is about celebrating life, it is about honoring those who have lost their life, and it really about coming together for a great cause for fun," says Lori Freit-Hammes, the event co-chair.
Time trials begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, and races go all day.
More details on the event can be found here.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers