LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The former Bakalars building in La Crosse will not be turned into an apartment building like city leaders were hoping.
City of La Crosse Planning and Economic Administrator Amy Peterson said the city made an offer to a local developer, which he turned down. To him the numbers didn't add up.
At a meeting earlier this month, it was estimated that it would cost the developer $4.5 million to buy the building, repair the damage from the tornado three years ago, and renovate it into the loft-style apartments.
Right now there are no other offers on the table to buy the building.
- Holmen teen facing attempted homicide charge following stabbing
- La Crosse Police Department sees increase in applicants
- Wisconsin Revenue Department touts anti-fraud efforts
- The Latest: Wisconsin superintendent hopefuls hold forum
- Two found dead near Oshkosh during welfare check
- Northside McDonald's temporarily closes due to relocation
- Previous mild winters help this year's snow budget
- Stripper sues club in popular tourist destination
- Appeals court won't put Trump's travel ban case on hold
- Pocan bringing immigrant to Trump's congressional speech