LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The former Bakalars building in La Crosse will not be turned into an apartment building like city leaders were hoping.
City of La Crosse Planning and Economic Administrator Amy Peterson said the city made an offer to a local developer, which he turned down. To him the numbers didn't add up.
At a meeting earlier this month, it was estimated that it would cost the developer $4.5 million to buy the building, repair the damage from the tornado three years ago, and renovate it into the loft-style apartments.
Right now there are no other offers on the table to buy the building.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore