The Detroit Lions have responded to accusations against center Dominic Raiola involving his interactions with the University of Wisconsin marching band during the Lion's game against the Packers at Lambeau Field on Sunday.
Raiola reportedly made inappropriate comments to UW band members.
"Those reports are extremely inconsistent with the standard of behavior we expect from our players and from every member of our organization," the statement read. "We currently are gathering more information and will respond further when appropriate."
UW marching band director Mike Leckrone told News 3 the incident occurred as the band was preparing to play the Star Spangled Banner, and he was on the other side of the field at the time. He said he didn't hear about the incident until after the pregame.
He said the band is accustomed to the razzing that can occur at a football game, but the comments that the students claim Raiola made were personal.
Leckrone said the students were shaken by the comments. He said he heard about the comments from numerous sources and he believes his students. He said he's proud of how the band members responded to the incident.
Details of the incident are being reported by numerous blogs. Accounts of the incident contain profane language.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest