DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Organizers say the Des Moines Winter Games won't be held on just one weekend or under one banner.
There still will be a "polar plunge" into a pond, racing sleds at Sleepy Hollow Sports Park and snowball softball, but they and other events will be held this month and next.
Sleepy Hollow events coordinator Mary Flatt told The Des Moines Register that the games, hosted by the city since 2008, is "not really a combined effort anymore."
But, she said, all of Sleepy Hollow's Winter Games events will be held there on Feb. 1.
Des Moines Park and Recreation marketing supervisor Jen Fletcher says concerns about the department's ability to handle so many events on one weekend and a desire to spread out outdoor opportunities led to the change.
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure
- Teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Hate crime lawsuit settled in northern Iowa
- Milwaukee Bucks settle lawsuit over cheerleader pay