DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Organizers say the Des Moines Winter Games won't be held on just one weekend or under one banner.
There still will be a "polar plunge" into a pond, racing sleds at Sleepy Hollow Sports Park and snowball softball, but they and other events will be held this month and next.
Sleepy Hollow events coordinator Mary Flatt told The Des Moines Register that the games, hosted by the city since 2008, is "not really a combined effort anymore."
But, she said, all of Sleepy Hollow's Winter Games events will be held there on Feb. 1.
Des Moines Park and Recreation marketing supervisor Jen Fletcher says concerns about the department's ability to handle so many events on one weekend and a desire to spread out outdoor opportunities led to the change.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY
- Section of riverbank collapses near City Hall in Des Moines
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore