LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A historic building in La Crosse damaged by a tornado nearly three years ago could find new life.
Armory Apartments is negotiating with city to buy the former Bakalars Building and redevelop it into an apartment building.
It will likely be similar to the Gund Brewery Lofts across the street from it.
On Monday, a city committee counter offered the latest proposal. "Overall a good project, it's just with all of these and limited dollars the city has, striking that right balance," said Mayor Tim Kabat.
It's estimated it will cost about $4.5 million to buy the building and then renovate it.
It could be completed by next June.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death