LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A historic building in La Crosse damaged by a tornado nearly three years ago could find new life.
Armory Apartments is negotiating with city to buy the former Bakalars Building and redevelop it into an apartment building.
It will likely be similar to the Gund Brewery Lofts across the street from it.
On Monday, a city committee counter offered the latest proposal. "Overall a good project, it's just with all of these and limited dollars the city has, striking that right balance," said Mayor Tim Kabat.
It's estimated it will cost about $4.5 million to buy the building and then renovate it.
It could be completed by next June.
- Wisconsin Democrats hoping to make points with Trump guests
- Accused driver talks about crash that killed couple
- Holmen teen facing attempted homicide charge following stabbing
- La Crosse Police Department sees increase in applicants
- Fatal shooting by deputy in Lincoln County investigated
- Trial set for Iowa mother whose baby died on changing table
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 27, 2017
- Northside McDonald's temporarily closes due to relocation
- Previous mild winters help this year's snow budget
- Stripper sues club in popular tourist destination