LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A historic building in La Crosse damaged by a tornado nearly three years ago could find new life.
Armory Apartments is negotiating with city to buy the former Bakalars Building and redevelop it into an apartment building.
It will likely be similar to the Gund Brewery Lofts across the street from it.
On Monday, a city committee counter offered the latest proposal. "Overall a good project, it's just with all of these and limited dollars the city has, striking that right balance," said Mayor Tim Kabat.
It's estimated it will cost about $4.5 million to buy the building and then renovate it.
It could be completed by next June.
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Fiserv CEO top paid executive in Wisconsin
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Top paid CEO in Minnesota is in health care industry
- Trump schedules Iowa visit _ his first as president
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- Belle Square development moves forward