LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Workplace cyber security was the focus of Wednesday's 2016 State of the Region event in downtown La Crosse.
The event hosted by the 7 Rivers Alliance aimed to raise awareness about everything people may be doing that could put a computer or an entire server in danger.
While many people may not think they have something on their computer others would want, one speaker says you could still be targeted.
"Maybe they don't want anything on your computer in the first place. They're not going to go to Best Buy and outfit themselves with hundreds and thousands of computers to do their job. They're going to hide behind someone else's legitimate computer and masquerade so that people are unaware and they can freely attack their targets," said Deutsch's Inc. CEO Dane Deutsch.
The keynote speaker says the first step to keeping you and your computer safe is verifying things like emails and websites for legitimacy.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.