LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Workplace cyber security was the focus of Wednesday's 2016 State of the Region event in downtown La Crosse.
The event hosted by the 7 Rivers Alliance aimed to raise awareness about everything people may be doing that could put a computer or an entire server in danger.
While many people may not think they have something on their computer others would want, one speaker says you could still be targeted.
"Maybe they don't want anything on your computer in the first place. They're not going to go to Best Buy and outfit themselves with hundreds and thousands of computers to do their job. They're going to hide behind someone else's legitimate computer and masquerade so that people are unaware and they can freely attack their targets," said Deutsch's Inc. CEO Dane Deutsch.
The keynote speaker says the first step to keeping you and your computer safe is verifying things like emails and websites for legitimacy.
- Teen dies in Vernon County hunting accident
- Walker defends property tax cut, issues veto threat
- What Wisconsin's roads shortfall could mean for taxpayers
- IRS warns of private debt collector scam
- Marijuana among used clothing donated to Maplewood store
- Suicide attempts increase at juvenile prison in Wisconsin
- Trial delayed for Iowa man charged in woman's cannon death
- Minnesota lawmakers enter final day to wrap up budget
- Barron County puts initial tornado damage estimate at $10M
- Draft horses get back to work in Wisconsin farms, forests