LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Workplace cyber security was the focus of Wednesday's 2016 State of the Region event in downtown La Crosse.
The event hosted by the 7 Rivers Alliance aimed to raise awareness about everything people may be doing that could put a computer or an entire server in danger.
While many people may not think they have something on their computer others would want, one speaker says you could still be targeted.
"Maybe they don't want anything on your computer in the first place. They're not going to go to Best Buy and outfit themselves with hundreds and thousands of computers to do their job. They're going to hide behind someone else's legitimate computer and masquerade so that people are unaware and they can freely attack their targets," said Deutsch's Inc. CEO Dane Deutsch.
The keynote speaker says the first step to keeping you and your computer safe is verifying things like emails and websites for legitimacy.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools
- La Crescent leaders hear ideas for downtown development
- Businesses gather for discussion on possible new tax
- Students learn robotics at Trane in La Crosse