WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - The West Salem Police Department is looking for more information on a possible skimming device placed on a local ATM.
Authorities posted Friday on Facebook about someone who accessed bank account information through an ATM at Altra Federal Credit Union in West Salem.
The culprit or culprits collected information and stole over $15,000 through a device called a skimmer affixed to the mouth of an ATM, police said.
The device scans credit and debit card information when an ATM user swipes a card through the machine.
Although most devices are not typically visible, authorities said ATM users should visually and physically inspect the machine before using it.
The West Salem Police Department is still investigating and looking for more information about the identity of whoever installed the device.
Anyone with any information should contact the West Salem Police Department at 608-786-0407 or https://westsalempolice.org.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers