ONALASKA, WI - It was the first free opportunity in the La Crosse area for people to put their martial arts skills to the test.
The Coulee Region Free Tournament at the Onalaska middle school was hosted by Wolf Martial Arts.
The goal is to give people the chance to compete without breaking the bank. Organizers say it can cost up to $60 to compete in just one event at most martial arts tournaments.
They say a free tournament gives students extra motivation in class.
"The tournaments give the students something to work towards to train towards which helps them improve their art because they know they're going to be competing against other people so it gets them training that much harder," said tournament organizer Matt Brigson.
Organizers say about 5 martial arts studios from the area brought students to compete at the tournament today. They say they plan on making the tournament an annual event.21649714
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday