ONALASKA, WI - It was the first free opportunity in the La Crosse area for people to put their martial arts skills to the test.
The Coulee Region Free Tournament at the Onalaska middle school was hosted by Wolf Martial Arts.
The goal is to give people the chance to compete without breaking the bank. Organizers say it can cost up to $60 to compete in just one event at most martial arts tournaments.
They say a free tournament gives students extra motivation in class.
"The tournaments give the students something to work towards to train towards which helps them improve their art because they know they're going to be competing against other people so it gets them training that much harder," said tournament organizer Matt Brigson.
Organizers say about 5 martial arts studios from the area brought students to compete at the tournament today. They say they plan on making the tournament an annual event.21649714
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case