LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The woman who collapsed at the finish line at a run-walk during Oktoberfest weekend is recovering from a heart procedure.
According to the La Crosse Area Family YMCA, UWL student Shylar Harmsen finished the race on October 1st and immediately collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.
Harmsen received CPR from YMCA directors and paramedics.
She was then transferred to a hospital in Madison, where she had surgery to implant a defibrillator.
Her family says she's now doing well and is able to breathe and talk on her own.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death