LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The woman who collapsed at the finish line at a run-walk during Oktoberfest weekend is recovering from a heart procedure.
According to the La Crosse Area Family YMCA, UWL student Shylar Harmsen finished the race on October 1st and immediately collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.
Harmsen received CPR from YMCA directors and paramedics.
She was then transferred to a hospital in Madison, where she had surgery to implant a defibrillator.
Her family says she's now doing well and is able to breathe and talk on her own.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 21, 2017
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse