LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The woman who collapsed at the finish line at a run-walk during Oktoberfest weekend is recovering from a heart procedure.
According to the La Crosse Area Family YMCA, UWL student Shylar Harmsen finished the race on October 1st and immediately collapsed and went into cardiac arrest.
Harmsen received CPR from YMCA directors and paramedics.
She was then transferred to a hospital in Madison, where she had surgery to implant a defibrillator.
Her family says she's now doing well and is able to breathe and talk on her own.
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash