LA CROSSE, Wis. - A recall effort to unseat Audrey Kader came up short on Tuesday, January 29, with La Crosse's City Council President defeating her two opponents by a wide margin.
Kader received 196 votes, or about 73% of the vote. Jerome Gundersen, a remodeling contractor, received 42 votes. Gage Maurer, a Viterbo University student, received 26 votes.
A provision in state election law says there does not need to be a general election when a candidate wins the majority of the vote in a non-partisan recall primary.
La Crosse City Council President Audrey Kader has been recalled.
Jerome Gundersen and Gage Mauer are running against Kader in the District 11 recall race.
Mauer, a 20-year-old student at Viterbo University, is being backed by the group that started the recall effort against Kader, Restore La Crosse Committee. Gundersen is a remodeling contractor.
Both candidates said one of the main reasons for running was because they were upset that the council tried to reduce public input by doing away with the Committee of the Whole meetings on Tuesday nights.
Kader said it's misleading to say she's responsible for trying to get rid of the Tuesday night meetings. She said the idea came out of the J & A Committee. Kader says she did vote in favor of eliminating the meetings on a trial basis but currently supports keeping them.
The primary election for the Aldermanic District 11 recall race is on January 29, 2013. The Recall Election is on February 26, 2013.
Click here for more information on elections in the City of La Crosse.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Bond reduced in university student death case
- Iowa man who broke baby daughter's bones gets probation
- Dispatchers receive call about possible homicide
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking