CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - Police have identified a woman who was fatally shot after a traffic stop by officers in Cedar Rapids.
The Cedar Rapids Police Department said Tuesday that Desirae Daniel was shot after displaying a handgun as officers approached. She was pronounced dead at St. Luke's Hospital, and an autopsy will be performed in Ankeny.
Police say officers had followed a car that didn't pull over a little before 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. The chase continued down several streets until the car stopped on the northwest side of the city.
The name of the officers and other details haven't been released. Police say no officers were injured.
The case has been turned over to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, which didn't immediately return messages left Tuesday.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota