LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Kwik Trip is changing its convenience store hours at its Cass Street location in La Crosse due to safety concerns.
Beginning Friday, May 16, the convenience store will open an hour later, at 5 a.m.
"We had an issue a couple weeks ago. It's a safety issue for our cashiers, for our co-workers and we decided if we opened a little later hopefully that will help that safety issue," said John McHugh, manager of corporate communications for Kwik Trip.
Just after 4 a.m. on Tuesday, April 22, a man went into the store, showed a handgun and demanded cash. The robber is still at-large. La Crosse police are still investigating this incident.
McHugh said after that incident Kwik Trip decided to discuss the location's hours again and decided that it would open at 5 a.m. "with the idea that 5 a.m. is a little bit lighter out and more traffic about that hopefully that will alleviate some of those safety concerns."
Effective June 8, 2013, the Cass Street Kwik Trip convenience store was closed at 12 a.m. to 4 a.m. after 26-year-old Mitrel Anderson allegedly stabbed 24-year-old Demario Lee inside the convenience store. Lee was taken to the hospital, where he died from his injuries.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race