WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - Before heading out in the car with your child you might want to double check his or her car seat.
La Crosse County Health Department held free safety checks Thursday at Brenengen's Auto on Highway 16 in West Salem. The goal was to make sure your car seat is installed properly.
Research finds proper use of car seats reduces the potential injury to a child in car crashes by more than 70-percent.
This isn't the first time the county has held free safety checks for families. The department also held safety checks last year. But after it was done what they found was surprising.
"For La Crosse County data alone, we got about a 96-percent misuse rate but for nationwide it may be about an 80-percent misuse rate so the rate is very high out there," said La Crosse County Health Department Health Educator Mia Chorlee.
The County is holding another safety check for families September 5. That will also be at Brenengen's Auto in West Salem.
Another free child safety seat check will be available Thursday, September 5 w from 3 to 7 p.m. A certified Child Passenger Safety Technician will help fit child safety and booster seats.
- Wisconsin Revenue Department touts anti-fraud efforts
- The Latest: Wisconsin superintendent hopefuls hold forum
- Two found dead near Oshkosh during welfare check
- Republican proposes raising UW tuition by inflation, income
- New budget forecast coming Tuesday
- Candidates for Wisconsin superintendent face off at forum
- Dayton administration proposes more energy from renewables
- Lawmakers push for hemp comeback in Wisconsin
- Senate to vote on ending ban on Sunday liquor sales
- Injured men flee car crash, one dies