WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - Before heading out in the car with your child you might want to double check his or her car seat.
La Crosse County Health Department held free safety checks Thursday at Brenengen's Auto on Highway 16 in West Salem. The goal was to make sure your car seat is installed properly.
Research finds proper use of car seats reduces the potential injury to a child in car crashes by more than 70-percent.
This isn't the first time the county has held free safety checks for families. The department also held safety checks last year. But after it was done what they found was surprising.
"For La Crosse County data alone, we got about a 96-percent misuse rate but for nationwide it may be about an 80-percent misuse rate so the rate is very high out there," said La Crosse County Health Department Health Educator Mia Chorlee.
The County is holding another safety check for families September 5. That will also be at Brenengen's Auto in West Salem.
Another free child safety seat check will be available Thursday, September 5 w from 3 to 7 p.m. A certified Child Passenger Safety Technician will help fit child safety and booster seats.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp