ST. PAUL, MN (AP) - Authorities have recovered the body of a worker killed in a demolition collapse in downtown St. Paul.
St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard says the body of 61-year-old Johnny Valec of Plymouth was recovered about 1 p.m. Tuesday.
The backhoe operator was working to demolish a building at the site of the future St. Paul Saints ballpark when a piece of concrete, roughly 25 feet by 10 feet, fell on him and his equipment. Zaccard says the worker, an employee of Rachel Contracting, was killed instantly.
Zaccard says Minnesota OSHA will investigate.
The St. Paul Saints issued a statement Tuesday extending sympathies to the worker's family.
Clearing the site for the new Lowertown ballpark began in July.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants
- Minnesota residents help homeless man
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm