TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. - A body was found inside the house where crews were fighting a fire in Rock County Tuesday morning, officials said.
Firefighters responded at 6 a.m. to a report of a fire in the town of Newark, about 15 minutes west of Beloit, on West Highway 81. The fire was knocked down by 9:40 a.m.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office confirmed a body was found inside the house as firefighters battled the blaze. The body hadn't been identified as of Tuesday morning.
Highway 81 was closed between Olson and Merlet roads Tuesday morning as crews investigated. State traffic officials said the Rock County Sheriff's Office said the closure will last for the majority of the day.
A special agent with the Division of Criminal Investigation was seen surveying the house. State fire marshals are also at the house investigating the cause and origin of the blaze.
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Kentucky shooting suspect might be headed to Wisconsin
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Sunday liquor sales ban on Minnesota House's chopping block
- Mobile app made in Wisconsin aims to empower women
- Man fatally stabs mother near Hudson, kills self after chase
- Waukesha police hope DNA cracks 1975 baby death cold case
- AP Exclusive: Drugs vanish at some VA hospitals
- Vehicle runs into river after driver swerves to avoid deer