TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. - A body was found inside the house where crews were fighting a fire in Rock County Tuesday morning, officials said.
Firefighters responded at 6 a.m. to a report of a fire in the town of Newark, about 15 minutes west of Beloit, on West Highway 81. The fire was knocked down by 9:40 a.m.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office confirmed a body was found inside the house as firefighters battled the blaze. The body hadn't been identified as of Tuesday morning.
Highway 81 was closed between Olson and Merlet roads Tuesday morning as crews investigated. State traffic officials said the Rock County Sheriff's Office said the closure will last for the majority of the day.
A special agent with the Division of Criminal Investigation was seen surveying the house. State fire marshals are also at the house investigating the cause and origin of the blaze.
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin Corrections Department closes internal unit
- Walker administration renews self-insurance push
- 10 inmates escape from Minnesota prison; 1 still on the lam
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- La Crosse school officials prepare for Summer Food Service Program
- State delays release of comments on Walker's Medicaid plans