TOWN OF NEWARK, Wis. - A body was found inside the house where crews were fighting a fire in Rock County Tuesday morning, officials said.
Firefighters responded at 6 a.m. to a report of a fire in the town of Newark, about 15 minutes west of Beloit, on West Highway 81. The fire was knocked down by 9:40 a.m.
The Rock County Sheriff's Office confirmed a body was found inside the house as firefighters battled the blaze. The body hadn't been identified as of Tuesday morning.
Highway 81 was closed between Olson and Merlet roads Tuesday morning as crews investigated. State traffic officials said the Rock County Sheriff's Office said the closure will last for the majority of the day.
A special agent with the Division of Criminal Investigation was seen surveying the house. State fire marshals are also at the house investigating the cause and origin of the blaze.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners