LA CROSSE, Wis. - North Woods Elementary School teams won first and second place at the School District of La Crosse's "Battle of the Books" competition.
The competition, which took place at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on February 8, required teams of students to read 20 books from a pre-selected list in advance and answer questions about them at the competition.
Students responded to questions about the books' plot, characters and settings by providing the correct title and author of the book described.
The first place team, the BOBleheads, included Ashley Anderson, Parker Blumentritt, Emily Flottmeyer and Levi Magnusson. The Second place team, the North Woods Global Readers, included Gracie Jolie, Anika Nystrom, Adelaide Rosene, and Brooke Thurman.
"I saw students fired up about reading as they prepared for the competition," said Gary Boisvert, the LMC Director at North Woods International School. "The positive energy and excitement over a good book can radiate in a school."
The BOBleheads are moving on to the state competition, an online contest that takes place at the end of February.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles