LA CROSSE, Wis. - This cold weather is more than a nuisance it can also be very dangerous.
Frostbite and even hypothermia can occur in a matter of minutes with temps this low. Doctors say it's dangerous for everyone, but the elderly and young children are most at risk.
Bundle up, dress in layers with hats, scarfs and mittens if you have them. Also avoid any activity that's going to make you sweat outside because getting wet only speeds up the freezing process.
Doctors say don't ignore the warning signs your body is telling you, it's something that can be harder for kids.
"With children you have to be very careful, infants even more so than older children, we generally tell parents to put an extra layer on their children than they would on themselves," said Dr. Katrin Tsigonis of the Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
The cold weather can make respiratory conditions like asthma even worse.18218500
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest