LA CROSSE, Wis. - This cold weather is more than a nuisance it can also be very dangerous.
Frostbite and even hypothermia can occur in a matter of minutes with temps this low. Doctors say it's dangerous for everyone, but the elderly and young children are most at risk.
Bundle up, dress in layers with hats, scarfs and mittens if you have them. Also avoid any activity that's going to make you sweat outside because getting wet only speeds up the freezing process.
Doctors say don't ignore the warning signs your body is telling you, it's something that can be harder for kids.
"With children you have to be very careful, infants even more so than older children, we generally tell parents to put an extra layer on their children than they would on themselves," said Dr. Katrin Tsigonis of the Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
The cold weather can make respiratory conditions like asthma even worse.18218500
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies