LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Area roads will be busier than usual this weekend as La Crosse's annual bike festival gets underway.
The La Crosse Area Bicycle Festival kicked off Friday in Cameron Park. Bikers will be exploring the hundreds of miles of bike trails around the Driftless Region.
Organizers say bikers are coming from all over including South Dakota, Missouri, and Texas. Since people will be on their bikes most of the weekend organizers say they want to make sure their rides go as smooth as possible.
"If anything kind of comes up, you get a flat tire... you just need a little air, really anything we do have everything here, that minor repairs even some of the more major things that hopefully we can repair," said La Crosse Area Visitors Bureau's Director of Sport Sales Jeremiah Burish.
The holiday weekend is not only a chance for bikers to get out and ride but it's also a way for them to meet other bikers from around the area.
It's the first time for one Minnesota couple at "Bike Fest" and they say they're already looking forward to next year.
"Well you know the area is beautiful. My wife and I really like this area and we were looking forward to meeting other bicyclists and seeing what it likes at La Crosse and actually we are looking to coming back next year and I'm not even sure what this will turn out to be like," said Richard Thompson during his first visit to Bike Fest.
The 4th annual Bicycle Festival runs through Sunday.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team
- City officials propose lower speed limit for Losey Blvd.