LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A hundred mile bike ride through the coulee region is helping one child with a special wish.
Hundreds of people took part in Saturday's Big Bikes for Little Tykes event to help raise money 5-year-old Lyla Alameida. Lyla was born with a rare chromosomal condition and was given only a few months to live.
The money raised by the ride will help Lyla and her family go on vacation - something they haven't been able to afford because of Lyla's medical bills.
"We just feel like it's an absolute blessing and we're so thankful to everyone that's a part of it," said Jenny Alameida, Lyla's mother. "She's a special girl and an absolute blessing to us, and we feel like this is a gift to her."
In all, about 400 people showed up to ride and show their support.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Court upholds order for fingerprint to unlock cellphone