LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A hundred mile bike ride through the coulee region is helping one child with a special wish.
Hundreds of people took part in Saturday's Big Bikes for Little Tykes event to help raise money 5-year-old Lyla Alameida. Lyla was born with a rare chromosomal condition and was given only a few months to live.
The money raised by the ride will help Lyla and her family go on vacation - something they haven't been able to afford because of Lyla's medical bills.
"We just feel like it's an absolute blessing and we're so thankful to everyone that's a part of it," said Jenny Alameida, Lyla's mother. "She's a special girl and an absolute blessing to us, and we feel like this is a gift to her."
In all, about 400 people showed up to ride and show their support.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case